Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Calico Tree

"Calico Tree" 6"x6" original oil on panel $150.

Find a comfortable tree and take a catnap - sounds good to me! I enjoyed painting this relaxing scene, and I actually stayed awake (thanks to a hot cup of tea). I do paint better that way.

Trying new techniques and different color schemes is good exercise. I premixed the colors, although I found I did need more contrast halfway through. I didn't want the kitty to totally disappear in the tree, and the photo reference was all neutral colors. Starting with a big flat brush loaded with lots of paint, I worked from background to foreground, ending up with my small flat, filbert and round. I like Rosemary and Co's Ivory line of brushes.

I'd love to paint your favorite feline or canine in a cute pose (no obligation). Send me a photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment